This course provides an overview of aspects of biblical preaching, including the development and delivery of biblical sermons.
Students will the following biblical preaching skills:
- Exegesis of a particular text that is appropriate for sermon preparation.
- Finding a focus for the sermon.
- Shaping the form of a sermon in the context of both the text and the local community.
- Communicating through preaching in a way that shapes the life of the local church.d.
A. Technical Requirements
- Download and install a browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer. We suggest Firefox or Google Chrome.
- The E-learning system performs better with Firefox or Google Chrome browsers.
- Academic Requirements
- Lessons (25%) – Complete the weekly lessons
- Final exam(20%)
- Textbook Reading Reports ( 20%)
- Sermons Reports ( 20%)
- Write a four pages sermon – double spaced – 12 points font- ( 20%)
- Choose your text
- Find the ‘Big Idea’ of your text
- Begin exegesis of your text
- Complete exegesis of your text
- Prepare the homiletical outline for your sermon
- Prepare conclusion and introduction for your first sermon
- Write the body of the sermon
- Grading Scale
A = 94-100 Excellent
B = 84-93 Above Average
C = 74-83 Average
D = 64-73 Below Average
F = 63 & Below Failure
- Textbook Readings
Read the assigned textbook readings. Text reading will be reported by submitting 150 words or more of reflection on that day’s reading. On the first line of your reading report, specify whether you read all (worth up to 25 points), 75% (worth up to 20 points), 50% (worth up to 17 points) or 25% (worth up to 12 points).
Stumped on what to write? The book chapters have review questions at the end. Use your answer to one of those questions as the content of your reading report.
- Sermons reports
Each week after listening to the assigned sermon for the week the student will provide a brief response (1 page maximum for the whole review) to the following questions:
- Clearly state the name of the preacher of the sermon you listened to
- Was the sermon based on a specific Bible passage? if so, what was it?
- What is the context within which the preacher is speaking?
- How did the preacher handle the biblical text?
- What was the central focus of the sermon? Is it clearly stated?
- What worked, what didn’t?
Wilson, P. S. (1995). The practice of preaching. Nashville: Abingdon Press.